Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

3.28.2009

The Best Kind of Gift

A few weeks ago I met my friend Kay for dinner to celebrate my birthday. Among the many wonderful gifts she brought me that day were the scrumptious homemade chocolate chip cookies you see pictured above. I think they are quite possibly the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted. Even the hubby couldn’t keep his hands off them, which is saying a lot considering that he’s not one to favor sweets.
Many of us cringe at holiday time or any gift giving occasion, especially right now when we are trying to save what pennies we do have. Somewhere along the line, someone got the idea that buying gifts meant you needed to be extravagant and go out of your way to impress the recipient. I’m here to tell you that that’s not really so.
Those of us who are crafty have bestowed many a handmade gift on our friends and families. Sometimes it is to their delight and others . . . not so much. There are those who appreciate the time and effort that goes into a handmade gift. I consider myself one of those people. Personally, I am much more touched at the thought that was put into something vs. the price tag.
If you don’t consider yourself the crafty type, never fear. If you find that you are short on cash, you might be surprised at the number of creative things you can come up with to do for someone. Got a green thumb? Offer to plant a garden in a friend’s yard. If you can cook or bake well, then make them their favorite meal. Perhaps you have a friend who is stressed out and short on time ~ offer to help with cleaning or child care. In these times when most of us are super busy, the gift of one’s time is surely as priceless as the gift of friendship itself.

2 comments:

Kacies Kreations said...

That's so sweet of you!!! I think they are good cookies, too. I always enjoy a homemade gift. It can never be replicated exactly by anyone else and that makes it unique. You have a "one-of-a kind" gift.

BTW, I'll let you know when the flower exchanges begin. And if you or anyone you know is in need of a tree or shrub, each of Michigan's counties has a tree conservation district sale. 18"-24" tree's are just $3. or $4.

jacjewelry said...

What a terrific gift - last year, my friend's wife baked us three types of cookies for Christas. I loved getting them!

I am the same way - the thoughtfulness that goes into a gift and especially the time someone takes to make are so much more meaningful than the price. You've given some great suggestions on homemade gifts!