Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

8.27.2011

Here's the Dish: Delicious Kale Salad with Peanut Dressing

Last weekend I bought a bunch of fresh Kale for $1 (what a deal!) at the farmer's market, and I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it.  This recipe comes from Sophie Uliano, of Gorgeously Green.  You may have heard of her ~ she has written books and has been on tv offering great tips on how to live an eco-friendly lifestyle.   I like to receive her weekly emails because I find that her advice is practical and easy to follow.   The below recipe did not disappoint ~ it made a nice big bowl of salad that lasted for half the week.  It tasted fresh and a little spicy, with lots of Asian flavor.  Don't worry too much if you don't have everything it calls for ~ I didn't, and it still turned out great.




Kale Salad with Peanut Dressing



Ingredients:

1/2 c. chunky peanut butter (smooth works fine!)
1 1/2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. tamari or soy sauce
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1 T. peeled, finely grated fresh ginger (I used ground ginger)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 T. sesame seeds ( I didn't have any, so I used sunflower seeds)
2 bunches of kale, washed, trimmed and roughly chopped
4 scallions, thinly sliced ( I used white onions)
1/4 c. salted peanuts, roughly chopped, as garnish (optional)

Directions:

Combine the peanut butter, vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds, and 1/4 cup of water in a food processor or blender.  Puree until smooth, adding more water to thin the dressing if needed.

Steam the kale, drain well and chop (not too finely) and toss with some of the dressing.  Add the onions and the rest of the dressing, and transfer to a bowl.  Chill in the fridge and sprinkle peanuts on top just before serving.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love kale!

Vanessa said...

I never know what to do with all the kale I see at the farmer's market! Great recipe!
(And yeah for Michigan girls!)