Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

2.04.2011

Lessons Learned


When I opened my shop on Etsy four years ago, I knew virtually nothing about selling online.  Since then, I've learned so much ~ mostly through trial and error, but also through the Etsy forums, blog and by comparing notes with my seller friends.  Four years and two shops later, I consider myself far from being any kind of pro at all of this.  It is a constant learning experience, but that's partly why I love it.

Recently I was thinking about the secret to having a successful shop.  My suspicion is that many sellers would like to know the secret to success.  Of course, each of us has a different idea of what it means to be successful, and how to get there.   Unfortunately, I am still in search of the magic formula.  

I am an observer by nature, and I can tell you one thing I have observed when it comes to selling online ~  Having a terrific product surely helps, and finding a niche really helps.  Selling jewelry is especially challenging, when there are over 1,000,000 pieces for sale on Etsy.   So what is the secret?  Marketing, of course.   I truly believe you can sell anything, and sell it well, if you market it right.   By that I mean ~ take awesome, artistic photos, give your shop a clever name, and make your product names especially cute and catchy.    It seems to work for many.   That has to be it.  If it was based on hard work alone, then my sales would be in the gazillions :)

Obviously marketing is not my forte'!   

So . . . I would love to hear your thoughts, if you sell on Etsy or anyplace online.    Please share them!  What have you learned from running an online business?

Oh, you're probably wondering what the photo above is all about.  That is the front window of a Fluevog shoe store in San Francisco.   I snapped the pic when we were there in October.   I thought the sign was pretty clever . . . it caught my attention anyway!


1 comment:

jacjewelry said...

You are so right, Stacy! I don't have much to share mainly because you were the one who showed me the ropes when I opened my Etsy shop, so a lot of the things I learned were from you. :) Like you said, it's trial and error. Over the years I learned two key lessons:

1. Take good photos! Take a photography class if you have to. If you think your photos are good, they can always be better!

2. Stay true to yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with something, don't feel pressured to go with it.

That's my two cents. ;)