Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

1.28.2011

Remembering the Challenger

Every generation is marked by an event that leaves an indelible impression.  For my parents, I am quite sure that was the assassination of JFK.  When I was young, I can recall them saying "I remember where I was when . . ."  For me, there are a few events that I can recall so vividly, that I find myself saying the very same thing.   One of those is the Challenger Space Shuttle explosion.  Today marks the 25th anniversary of that tragedy.  I was in the fifth grade when it happened.  I remember what a big deal it was that a teacher was going up in space for the first time ever.  All of us had been gathered together to watch it live on TV.  Excitement quickly turned to horror as the vessel burst into smoke and flames.  At the time, my 10 year old mind couldn't comprehend what was happening, but once I saw the look of sheer panic on the teachers' faces, I knew the outcome would not be good.  In fact, I can vividly recall one female teacher, whose face became white as a ghost.  She looked at the other teachers as if to say "What should we do?", and it seemed like she wanted to burst into tears.  At that point, we were ushered back into our classrooms, and the school day went on as usual. 


I took the above photo on our trip to Washington DC in 2009.   This is the memorial to the Challenger that stands at Arlington Cemetery.   I remember feeling such sadness on that day 25 years ago, and those feelings came back to me today as the footage was being shown on TV.  Undoubtedly, this is one of those unforgettable events of a lifetime.  We should never forget these seven astronauts for the sacrifice they made on that fateful day.

No comments: