Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
6 cups chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/3 cup rice, uncooked
1/3 cup carrot, diced
1/3 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup chicken, cubed and cooked
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
lemon slice (optional)
sliced green onion or parsley (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, bouillon cube, rice, carrots, celery and onion.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in chicken.
5. Remove from heat.
6. In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth.
7. Gradually add 2 cups of broth mixture, cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
8. In a small bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
9. Gradually beat lemon juice and 2 cups thickened broth into the large pot of soup.
10. Very slowly add egg mixture into the soup, stirring constantly. Do not do this if your soup is boiling or very hot or your eggs will split. You may want to take the soup off the burner for a few minutes before you add the eggs.
11. Heat gently until soup thickens enough to coat a spoon--do not boil!
12. Add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with lemon.