Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

8.21.2009

Here's the Dish: Slow-Cooker Salsa

This weekend marks our annual Salsa Making Party, where we get together with friends and can enough homemade salsa to last until next year. It's a good thing too, since we have been up to our ears in tomatoes and hot peppers for weeks now. I've had to find some creative ways to use them, and some we've given away. A few weeks ago, I was craving fresh salsa, and it just so happened that we had a bunch of ripe tomatoes. I found this recipe for making it in a slow cooker, and that seemed like just the thing to do, since I love using mine. It's very easy, and takes no time at all to whip up. In fact, I made a batch this evening ~ put all the ingredients together, then we went for a long walk, ate Thai food for dinner, and by the time we got home, it was ready! What follows is a basic recipe that yields 2 cups or 8 servings. Somehow, I've ended up with closer to eight cups ~ go figure. Feel free to play with the ingredients until you get the flavor and level of heat just right for you.

Ingredients:

10 plum tomatoes, cored

2 garlic cloves (or more!)

1 medium sized onion, cut in wedges

2-3 jalapeno peppers

half of a medium sized green bell pepper, chopped

1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

Cut a small slit in two tomatoes. Insert a garlic clove in each slit. Place tomatoes in slow cooker. The nifty tool in the picture is from The Pampered Chef, and it is good for coring tomatoes. Cut stems off jalapenos. Remove seeds for a milder salsa. Place jalapenos in slow cooker. Add chopped bell pepper. There's Mr. V ~ he insisted on helping with the hot peppers. This recipe is very "man friendly" ~ haha.
Looks so pretty! Cover. Cook on High for 2-3 hours. Cool.
In a blender, combine the tomato mixture, cilantro and salt. Process until smooth. Refrigerate leftovers.
The finished product ~ tastes so good with Tortilla chips, eggs, on a baked potato . . . even grilled chicken. The possibilities are many!

2 comments:

Kacies Kreations said...

I have roma tomatoes and a slow cooker. Sounds like a have a recipe. Thanks!

jacjewelry said...

Wow... I am definitely coming over for this one!