Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

8.12.2009

Here's the Dish: Shrimp and Mango Wraps

Here’s another great wrap recipe . . . hope you don’t mind ;) I’ve been making a lot of these lately, since the weather’s been hitting the 90 degree mark with nearly 100% humidity. Who wants to eat hot food when it’s hot as blazes outside? Not I. These light sandwich wraps fit the bill on a warm summer day. I love this recipe because it lets me take advantage of the fresh herbs in my garden. I also like the exotic twist that the mango provides. My mom says mangoes taste like pine trees to her. I beg to differ ~ (not that I would know what a pine tree tastes like). I bet she’s never tasted a mango combined with shrimp and all these other tasty ingredients! After eating one of these, she might just change her tune.

Shrimp and Mango Wraps

Ingredients: 1/3 cup sour cream

1/3 cup mayo

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

2 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 pounds large shrimp in shell (16 to 20 per lb), peeled and deveined

1 (1 pound) firm-ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch cubes ~ click here for a nifty tutorial on how to cut a mango efficiently

4 (10 inch) flour tortillas

1 (6 ounce) bunch watercress (or romaine, or whatever ya got!), tough stems discarded

Directions:

Pulse sour cream, mayonnaise, basil, chives, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a blender until herbs are finely chopped and mixture is pale green.

Bring 2 quarts water, lemon juice, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan, then poach shrimp, uncovered, at a bare simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Let shrimp chill in water 2 minutes, then drain and pat dry. Coarsely chop shrimp, then add to dressing along with mango and stir to combine.

Toast tortillas 1 at a time directly on burner (gas or electric) at moderately high heat, turning over and rotating with tongs, until puffed slightly and browned in spots but still flexible, 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel as toasted and stack, loosely wrapped in towel.

Divide watercress among tortillas, arranging it across middle, then top with 1 1/4 cups shrimp salad. Tuck in ends of wraps, then roll up tightly to enclose filling. Cut wraps in half diagonally.

Yield: 4 servings

2 comments:

jacjewelry said...

Oh my... these look delectable! I love mango and never thought it tastes like pine tree. :)

Alison Kelley said...

I love shrimp and I love mango, can't wait to give this one a try. You find the best wrap recipes Stacy, thanks for sharing them!