Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

10.11.2008

It's the Creamiest!

I’ve been on a major comfort food kick lately. I suspect that has something to do with the change of seasons. The drop in temps is signaling to my body that it’s time to add a layer of insulation in preparation for winter ~ which I need like a hole in the head, but that’s another story.
What dish is more comforting that macaroni in cheese? It certainly tops my list. I recently made a batch using the recipe that follows. This is the best recipe that I have ever used ~ the result is rich and creamy, with a little bit of zing due to the cayenne pepper, and a wonderful flavor that is created by the addition of garlic. It really is interesting how there are so many variations on this simple dish out there. This version is by no means low fat ~ serve it on the holidays and it is sure to impress. Mac and cheese is filling, substantial and relatively inexpensive to make (and I’m not referring to the kind that comes in the blue box here). This recipe yields a pretty decent amount, so if you’re making it for one or two there are bound to be leftovers ~ and it tastes just as good, if not better, the second time around.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups milk
2 (10 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
1 (10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
Directions:
In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Whisk the flour in gradually until the mixture is smooth.
Cook and whisk continually for 2 minutes.
Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic; stir to combine.
Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk.
Cook and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
Add in half of the sharp cheddar cheese; stir.
Add in all of the extra-sharp cheddar cheese; stir until smooth.
Take skillet off stove burner.
Mix together the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture; transfer to a greased 13x9 inch casserole dish.
Sprinkle with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is crispy.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Mmmm, that looks delicious! You're gonna give me cravings now.

It's too bad I don't have a kitchen. Maybe I can find someone who does.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night - it was sooooo good - my first attempt at home made mac-n-cheese and it was perfect - thank you so much for sharing-this is a keeper in my growing recipe book!! lindsay.sloan@yahoo.com