Your Aura is Blue
Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life. You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships. The purpose of your life: showing love to other people Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor

About Me

My photo
This blog started out as a way for me to display and sell my handmade jewelry creations. I have set up shop on Etsy.com, where my shop name is "Dreamin of Beadin". The link to my Etsy store is located on the right hand side of this page. Please check me out!! If jewelry's not your thing, then check out the site anyway ~ there are plenty of talented artists selling lots of cool things there. For your reading pleasure, this blog will serve as a sneak peek into what's going on "behind the scenes" in my world. I love to cook, so there will be plenty of recipes, as well as product reviews and the occasional product giveaway (woo hoo!) I also love to take pictures of anything and everything, and I just bought a new camera, so there will be plenty of photos. And I like wine too, so things could get pretty interesting . . . Thank you for your support of me, Etsy and "all things handmade" :)

5.19.2008

WANTED: More time!!

Etsy has been very good to me over the past week. I sold roughly six pieces of jewelry over a span of three days. Now, to the “Super Sellers” out there this may not seem like much, but to me it is. First of all, this venture has never been about simply making sales for the sake of becoming a top seller. It is much more important to me to be able to offer quality items and a personalized buying experience to those who are willing to spend their hard earned money on my creations. It would be very difficult for me to offer this level of service if I was selling a high volume of merchandise. Here’s why:
Although I would love to be able to do this full time, at this point Dreamin' of Beadin' is just a part time gig for me. Call me a hobbyist if you will, but lately this lil’ hobby of mine has started to demand more of my time than ever. I’m not complaining, because I thoroughly enjoy it ~ it has just been challenging to strike a balance between work, hobby and the other demands on my time.
I currently work a full time job that keeps me away from home at least 10 hours/day, 5 days/week. I do not have children, which does give me some flexibility when it comes to my free time. “Me” time is an absolute luxury when you have little ones to consider. Honestly, I cannot fathom how anyone with kids could keep up with a full time job outside of the home and a shop on Etsy, but there are many who manage to do it. Personally speaking, I would probably have to throw in the towel. I cherish sleep time too much!
This brings me to the subject of sleep, or lack of. I’ve been getting far less sleep these days, averaging barely 6 hours per night if I’m lucky. Many an evening is spent on listing new items, creating new items, marketing my shop and networking. It is sometimes impossible to do all of the above without burning the midnight oil. Choosing where to focus my energy can seem like a juggling act. There are at least half a dozen new items right now that are waiting to be listed on my site. Listing several items can take an entire evening ~ at least for me it can. It takes a bit of effort to think up those catchy titles and then write an enticing description about the item. That is not even taking into account time spent on taking a good picture, which is essential when you're selling online. Focusing on one area takes time away from others. Add to the equation quality time with my husband, housework, family commitments and time with friends ~ it gets crazy sometimes!
Oh, and did I mention eating?? Can’t forget that (at least I can’t!)
Let me say that I am perfectly happy with the organized chaos of my life. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Having a creative outlet has gotten me through many a monotonous day of pushing paper at work. I wouldn’t be opposed to cutting back on my day gig so that I would have more time to focus on the activities I truly enjoy. Hopefully someday that will be an option. I currently have projects on the back burner that have not yet come to fruition simply because I haven’t had the time to make it happen. For now they are simply ideas in my head or doodlings on a piece of scrap paper. Then there are the drawers of beads and findings that haven’t yet seen the light of day . . .
I am thankful for all of my customers who have made it possible for me to continue doing what I love. It is reaffirming to have fans of my work and I find their enthusiasm to be a source of inspiration. So, even though I may struggle with the whole time issue, or lack thereof, I don’t plan on giving up anytime soon!

1 comment:

Kacies Kreations said...

You do a fantastic job balancing work, social life and beading. It's my goal to be as organized as you. I could never survive on 6 hours of sleep. How do you do it?